Representatives of the FitzWest Forum met with Francis Keegan from Westminster Council before Christmas to discuss the ever problematic issue of refuse collection and dumping in Fitzrovia. He is the person now dealing with refuse collection and streetscape in the FitzWest area. We shared our observations and those of FitzWest Forum members who have been in touch, as to what works and what doesn’t, and to continue to press for improvements.
We made the following points:
- There are some constant street dumping hotspots and we sent a map of ones we have identified. Please let us know if you think we have missed any. Map of dumping hotspots.
- There continue to be issues with Veolia not collecting recycling with this often being left for whole days and entire weekends.
- The Ward Councillors have been very supportive in pressing the refuse agenda and street collection arrangements have as a result improved.
- We continue to encourage both businesses and residents to use the Council’s online service to report missed collections and street dumping. Click below to do this:
- Compared to neighbouring boroughs, Westminster has many more collections with some streets daily and some twice a day. However the transient nature of the community and the lack of rubbish storage areas within some blocks of flats means that there are still problems with on-street dumping.